School is out, most big sports events are coming to a close, summer is here and you are getting ready to take a vacation from work. Your caravan, camper or tent is loaded up and you are ready to let the vacation spirit take over.
But is your social media persona taking a vacation? I am guessing, not. Why not take a break from social media? Or are you that addicted to it? Wouldn’t it make you look more human if you took a vacation there too?
Here are some tips:
- Since you want to get away from work, leave your laptop at home.
- Switch off your smartphone. And if you really need to be reachable by phone:
- Put your SIM card in an of fashioned phone or
- Get a BIC phone (http://www.bic-phone.fr)
- Check your e-mails ONCE a day if you must… (Do you really think you are that critical to the continuation of your business?).
- Limit your online time to only 30 minutes to answer your mails (you are on vacation to spend time with your family after all!).
- Sending tweets at every intersection, museum, restaurant or bar is not really needed. Your friends do not want a play by play update. It could be seen as showing off. And keep in mind that roaming could cost you a lot of money.
- It is okay not to update your status in Facebook and other social media every day.
- Loading your pictures or video up to your favorite websites might not be the best idea since people might be listening in. Maybe it is the taxman? Or worse, burglars?
- Though it would be nice to become “mayor” of an exotic location using geo-location software (e.g. foursquare), keep in mind that you are telling people that you are not home. Remember www.pleaserobme.com! Burglars might see an opportunity to stop by your home…and go on trip at your expense.
If you have more good tips for the vacation period feel free to mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org). So with that I wish all of you a great vacation!
Mob. +32 478 50 41 35
Find me also on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Netlog, etc.